Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Jsem Americanka z Praha a nemluvím český.

Another! ...though I haven't really done much of anything since my last "entry," apart from starting classes. Good news!: I can say such useful things as, "I am an American in Prague and I don't speak Czech" (see title), "Do you speak English?", "Please," "Thank you," and "ice cream" (zmrzlina. Don't tell me that is not a fun word). HOWEVER, I am too chicken to use most of them (well) yet, and really just end up mumbling them timidly. Which works, in a way, because the Czechs seem to be mumblers. But still, I'd like to be confident in thanking someone.

GOAL: Put myself in more situations in which I can use the loose grasp that I have on this crazy language and use it wholeheartedly.

I guess this "entry" (I am not liking this word, but whatever) is mostly meaningless musings that have arisen during my time here so far. Here, see some posters preaching public transportation courtesy.

One has to wonder exactly how effective these posters are. (I cannot tell as I've only ridden the tram and metro a handful of times.) Would they fly with the MBTA? I find them simultaneously repulsive and compelling. Funny, at least!

Also funny? Some food packaging. But I guess that is to be expected everywhere. My first grocery trip through Tesco (sort of like Wal-Mart here, but with really great produce) I resolved to buy food on the basis of how funny its packaging was. Then I realized I'd be stuck eating children's cereal and maybe some jogurt.

Hearing about the Czech Republic's mainly meat-and-potatoes cuisine had me a little worried but I am all set. Oatmeal, green tea, and vegetables (stirred with a knife! Oh yes!) can still be my main staples. (Because my diet is really the most interesting thing I could comment on while in Prague.) But I am going to have to go without sweet potatoes until May. I asked Martina, the Czech student who lives with us, if Czechs "did" sweet potatoes and she said no, "just LOTS of regular potatoes." Oh, well. ALSO, I haven't had peanut butter since I've gotten here. (Gasp!) It is hard to find (usually in the international section) and overpriced. Alas. I still have to ask about brown sugar, too.

Prague is also very big on dogs. The other day I saw a couple who was pushing their dog in a stroller while their toddler bumbled along ahead. There are lots of little funny things like this that I end up smiling to myself about. More will come, I'm sure, with more exploration of the city. There is more gorgeous architecture to be seen, art and history museums, street signs, billboards, cemeteries... Though I have yet to find some good graffiti. Maybe those posters are more effective than they let on.

5 comments:

  1. i am at a loss for words. those posters are a little bit more than amazing. i can only wonder if people in praha actually look like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. apparently the mbta has a ways to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bwahahaha, those posters are GREAT! Miss you Caitlin, I'm loving reading your journal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi. It was great finding your latest blog on line yesterday!! I don't envy you trying to learn the Czech language. Could it be any further from English?! "Where is the restroom" might be a handy phrase. I can hear Auntie Pam saying "What is the word for CHOCOLATE"? In addition to the words -- spelling AND pronunciation -- is the sentence structure also difficult? Is everything either male or female as it is in French?

    We love to hear about your Czech life. Thanks for blogging. Love, Gaia

    ReplyDelete
  5. HAHA, I just laughed out loud at those posters! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete