Saturday, February 28, 2009

Doom and Gloom: The Good King's Dead Horses


Today I woke up and it was rainy and grey. SURPRISE. A New England native and born moper, I appreciate a cloudy day or two or five. But this month with all its cold and wet bearing down from above has grown a bit tiresome. Still, I suppose it's the essence of Prague. So late this afternoon I decided to embrace my sour mood as a celebration of the city, buttoned up my grey (of course) coat, donned my rickety headphones, and made a grocery run all the darker by searching out another Černý.

Above, Wenceslas (whom I pass every day) heading Wenceslas Square (really more of a rectangle, and horse market of old). Most know Wenceslas as the "Good King." He was never a king. He was Duke of Bohemia, and is patron saint of CZ.

Below, Černý's interpretation. Wenceslas straddling a horse hung upside down, dead with lolling tongue. Its gloom reigns and rains from on high, and makes for an interesting juxtaposition with the shiny shopping area it haunts. Once more I've got to gawk up at Černý's dominant work. A fitting sight for a dreary Prague day.

No comments:

Post a Comment