Friday, February 13, 2009

Zoinks!: Žižkov Television Tower


Today I took the time to do a little bit of wandering. Not as much as I had hoped to, but I can now cross off one of my weekend to-do items: Find creepy tower babies.

This may seem strange. (It was.) Those who know me can say that I don't like those things creepy, and sometimes I don't even like babies. (Though I am growing to. Somehow every little one I see here is adorable, and quiet.) But I do like art. So I took a not-so-long walk down to the Žižkov Television Tower where David Černý installed slot-faced, disturbing, larger-than-life baby sculptures crawling up and down the sides. They were meant to be temporary, but people liked them so much that they were made permanent. Weird, when you first consider it. But then, why not add some art to an ugly structure?

The area wasn't the nicest, and the shiny silvery tower based in cement made for a strange juxtaposition with an old cemetery just a few paces away, but Černý is perhaps Prague's most famous (and controversial) artist and this work is worth the short walk and hopefully any nightmares that will ensue.

Stay tuned as I seek out his four or five other sculptures of note that are scattered about the city! They are curious, to say the least.

No comments:

Post a Comment